Carlson Challenger. Anyone have pics, info, opinions?

Look for an existing topic that might match what you'd like to discuss. If you don't see an existing topic, you can create a new one.

Moderators: Glastron_GT160, Rich_V174SS

Carlson Challenger. Anyone have pics, info, opinions?

Postby rayar3 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:04 pm

I need another project boat like I need a hole in my head! BUT I'm going to look at it anyway. It's a 1969 16' Challenger. Just a shell with the original seats. No power, dash, steering, etc. Definitely a project!

So does anyone here have any info on them, ever owned one, have pictures? Any gremlins I should be aware of as far as handling or how they were built? I was thinking if I got it I'd bring it somewhat back to normal with a Merc 115 or 125 with a 15" mid, basic interior, and depending on the gel coat probably a paint job like the older 1970-71 model Challengers with the offset racing stripe. I'd love to see some interior pictures if you've got any. The price is right for the boat, just depends on how far I want to go with a restoration at this point. I'll be looking at it sometime possibly tomorrow or the next few days.
Ray
1973 CV-16 restoration
1957 Grumman Sportboat
Looking for a nice original 1984-1989 CVX-20 Sprint
rayar3

Re: Carlson Challenger. Anyone have pics, info, opinions?

Postby Carlson_from_germany » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:15 pm

PICTURES!!! :mrgreen:
Carlson_from_germany

Re: Carlson Challenger. Anyone have pics, info, opinions?

Postby rayar3 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Well, took the drive down there today.

Man I wish I brought my camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long story short on the Challenger...didn't buy it. Cheaper to buy running in this particular case since there's NO hardware with the boat. NONE. Even the fin on the bottom is gone. Sad to say but it would be $400 for a trailer and a trip to the dump with the hull. But if anyone want's a project Challenger, it's $400 with trailer. Bottom hull was sound but the sun has long baked the metal flake on the topside.

Anywhoo......the shop was amazing. It's inside an old Mill and it's HUGE. Among some modern boats were boats of every vintage. Old mahogany barrel back o/b's, inboards, some hydrostreams, and a lot of cool obscure 50's-70's classic glass boats. Also, anyone need a vintage rebuilt motor? Among the boats were outboards everywhere! Not new, but all old. Some rebuilt, most in process of restoration. Mers, Merc Kiekhaefer's, Black ones, white one's, greens one's, blue one's! Vintage Johhny Rude's in every flavor. So I guess if you're looking for some vintage power for a restoration just give a call to West Cove Marina in CT. (860) 354-6357
Ray
1973 CV-16 restoration
1957 Grumman Sportboat
Looking for a nice original 1984-1989 CVX-20 Sprint
rayar3

Return to General Discussion